Random Acts of Kindness Day - Sunday 17th February.
Tomorrow is Sunday 17th February 2019. It’s Radom Act of Kindness Day.
Let’s all make it a good one.
For me, kindness is the best antidote for a bad mood. An antidote I don’t indulge in anywhere near enough. You could be having one of those days, one of those days I often have. It’s the day I’ve slept in, and then burnt my toast, the day I opened up the fridge and there’s only a dribble of milk left for my coffee. The day I’m late for work because there was a huge que at the petrol station and then the train crossings were down. The day my computer crashed and the day I got a speeding fine. A day that was just not MY day. I don’t think there’s much that can cure a day like this, but I do think there’s one thing that can help…
A Random Act Of Kindness
A kind gesture, be it to a stranger or a friend, will always make you feel better.
But that’s not all. You might be having a bad day, but that lady over there with the pushchair? She might be suffering with postnatal depression and has only just found the courage to leave the house. That old man over there? He might have just lost his wife and is making a bank transaction for the first time by himself, his wife used to deal with all the finances. The truth is, we don’t know what others are going through, and we don’t know joy that might be had from our random acts of kindness.
I don’t want to preach, if anyone can learn from these words it’s me, I often suffer from tunnel vision, wrapped up in my problems and my life I often forget to be kind. That’s why tomorrow I’m going to intentionally perform a random act of kindness.
Here’s just a short list of possible acts I’ve come up with.
1. Buying yourself a scratch card? Why not give it to someone else on the way out of the shop.
2. Buy some flowers or a crème egg and give it to someone random. Who doesn’t love a cream egg? If they look like a Vegan though, I’d go for the flowers.
3. Go out of your way to let somebody out at a junction.
4. Pay somebody a compliment.
5. Bake some cookies for a neighbour.
6. Write a Random Act of Kindness note, give it to a stranger, wish them a great day, and ask them to sign it and pass it on.
7. Let somebody else in the supermarket que before yourself.
8. Smile at a stranger even if you’re in a bad mood. Smiles are surprisingly contagious.
9. Offer to help an old person with their bags.
10. Take some baking or treats into a nursing home.
12. Give the bin men a present.
13. Buy the person behind you in the que at Costa a hot drink.
14. Send an I Love You text.
15. Ring someone you know you don’t phone enough and see how they are.
16. Offer your seat to somebody.
17. Buy someone a pint.
18. If you see someone you know lives alone, take some time to talk to them.
19. Catch yourself judging somebody and think something nice about them instead. Then pay them the compliment.
20. Send some flowers to a friend, just because.
Stills stuck for ideas? Here’s some more…
Don’t forget, if someone pays you a random act of kindness, savour it. If you have any ideas or stories of how a random act of kindness effected you I’d love to here it!